Getting your child ready for school
School readiness is a measure of how prepared a child is to succeed in school cognitively, socially, and emotionally.
As Childcare Providers we see one of our most vital roles as being the preparation of your child for their next steps.
This doesn’t just mean that they can count to 10. Of course, the educational basics are vital in order that there is no undue attention on your child because they don’t have these. These basics really make a difference as to how easily your child integrates into the school environment.
As important as the fundamentals of education are things such as:
- Emotional Readiness
- Social Skills
- Communication Skills
- Understanding rules
We work closely with you to ensure that these elements are in place as your child moves on to Kinder and beyond. We have developed a very successful curriculum such as visiting the local schools, bringing in a packed lunch (and choosing what to eat), learning listening skills throughout group times, in order that these things can be achieved and we would be happy to discuss our techniques.
What can I do to help?
To support this transition and help your child:
- Involve your child in preparing for school. Go to transitions and open nights.
- Plan for lunches – they can help make them.
- Help your child learn to dress themselves
- They should be able to use the toilet without help
- Establish the bedtime and morning routine. It is very important that they get enough sleep (10-13 hrs for a 4-5-year-old)
- Practice the route you will take when you walk, drive or ride to school
- Plan to take your child to school on the first day. Show them where you will pick them up at the end of the day.
- Make sure you are always on time.
Relax! If you are stressed, your child may sense this and worry too.
Latest News & Events
Torquay introduce new Child’s Play App
Introduction of Kindy Hub to the centre Child’s Play ELC Torquay is transitioning to using...Continue Reading ›
Tarneit- Collaborating with Maternal and Child Health
One of our local Wyndham City Maternal and Child Health sites has been placed under...Continue Reading ›
Tarneit Kinder graduation 2018
As we approached the end of 2018, we also near the end of our time...Continue Reading ›